Scriptural Reference: Psalm 91:1, 17:8, Matt 23:37
I walked down the street to my dress makers’ with my then one year old son who had just started walking. My son is very light skinned and easily gets sun burnt. The sun was scorching hot, a typical tropical midday blaze.
I realized my shadow fell on my right side and decided to use it to shade my son from the heat of the sun. To my uttermost surprise, he kept walking away from the shade of my shadow. I got to know that he was fascinated by his own shadow and wanted to see it. He toddled away, chasing his own shadow.
As he chased his shadow, moving away from me, I thought ‘Nathan, if only you knew the benefits of walking under mama’s shadow’. Immediately Psalm 91:1 came to mind ‘He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High, Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Like my little boy, how often do we as Christians walk away from the shadow of the Almighty, because we are fascinated by our own shadows? Or curious as to what our own shadows look like?
What does it mean to abide under the shadow of the almighty? When you abide under the shadow of God, it means being consciously and constantly in fellowship or communion with Him. It is willingly surrendering your own will to Him, so that you become a reflection of the heavenly father and not yourself. It is when you are so full of the father that your person is lost and His remains. Why then do Christians refuse to walk under the shadow of the almighty God? 1. Rebellion. 2. Disobedience. 3, Trust in self/self sufficiency.
How do you then abide under His shadow?
- When you mimic someone so much that people see you and immediately recognize the person in you, they say you are that person’s shadow. Likewise when you endeavor to do what God says you should do at all times through the scriptures, you get to look, talk and behave like him so much that you are easily recognized as His child.
- Reading and meditating on the word of God. Joshua 1:8
- Believing the word of God.
- Communion with God through prayer.
- Fellowship with God and brethren’s.
Benefits of Abiding Under the Shadow of God.
- Divine Protection. The only way I could protect my son from the heat of the sun was by casting my shadow upon him. I didn’t have an umbrella or any form of shade. When we stay under the shadow of our heavenly Father, he protects us from every form of evil. He loves us so much that he doesn’t wish for us to come to any form of harm. Matt 23:37 Jesus talking to the multitudes and His disciples referred to divine protection as a hen covering her chicks. We are protected from harm, sickness, diseases, lack and want and all forms of evil.
- Divine Provision. God provides all our needs when we abide in Him. To abide is to stay, to remain, and to dwell. When we dwell, we trust in Him and He meets our needs. When we seek Him with all our hearts and being, he adds to us all things which we need for a good life (Matt 6:33)
- Divine Healing. In cases where one is plagued by sickness and diseases, God gives us an assurance of healing in His presence. It His will that we should prosper and be in Health, (3 John 1:2) even as our souls prospers.
Wouldn’t you rather walk under His shadow today? Call unto God from wherever you are in your journey with Him and He will answer you!